Whether you like jeans or not, you will end up considering getting a denim jacket. Among other materials, denim is what makes you cool and stylish these contemporary days. The history of the Denim Jacket is as precious as the product. We will get you to dive into the pros and cons, and exciting features of the Denim Jacket in this article for you.
Table Of Contents
What is a Denim Jacket?
A denim jacket is a type of casual outerwear made of denim fabric, also known as a trucker jacket. Sometimes it has a sherpa lining inside making them warm and soft to wear. Traditionally, trucker or denim jackets were made of indigo denim, nowadays they come in various fashionable colors. Denim jackets are suitable for both males and females with plenty of styles.
Although denim is Western apparel, it soon became popular in general. The denim is thick, strong, and blue-colored. It first appeared in the 1960s. Since that era, it became famous among young people. Besides, this jacket was an informal uniform, designed as a blue-collar for laborers.
Material of Denim Jacket
Most of the denim’s material is cotton materialled. But denim jackets are also made of polyester and a blend of cotton and polyester. The stretch trucker jackets are made of cotton/polyester incorporated with a small amount of spandex.
History of Denim Jackets
The first jeans were invented in 1870. The first denim jacket was produced in the USA in 1880 by Levi Strauss. It was approximately 10 years later he invented jeans as a new type of workwear intended for use by miners, cowboys, and industrial laborers. It was initially an informal uniform of labor.
Heavy industrial workers often wear durable canvas or cotton clothing. Light navy and light blue colors cover up dirt or grease on the worker's clothing, helping them to appear cleaner.
12 Types of Denim Jackets:
1. Classic Denim Jacket:
Another name for a classic denim jacket is the trucker jacket. It is the most common denim jacket for both men and women. Classic denim fabric is sturdy and firm. During the late 16s, these jackets are set to trend as a motor gang culture.
2. Distressed Denim Jacket:
Distressed denim jackets are produced to feel more vintage, relaxed, and worn in. It features tears, fraying edges, rips, or fading indigo dye. These distressed looks give your pair of jackets a more lived-in and comfortable appearance. It will make them look like stylish old jeans.
3. Chore Jacket:
A denim chore jacket or coat is a jacket made of robust denim fabric with up to 4 large front pockets. It is locally popular as Toile de Chine, which is made from a durable cotton drill or moleskin. The chore jacket emerged in 19th-century France. It became the daily uniform for industrial workers, laborers, railroad engineers, and farmers. Today's chore denim jacket looks casual and stylish, but the purpose of wearing it is to protect the wearer from harsh working conditions.
4. Fringe Denim Jacket:
Functional fringe denim jackets allows the garment to protect from sun, and rain, and to dry faster. when it becomes wet the fringe denim acted as a series of wicks to disperse the liquid. It's believed that the fringe originated in Mesopotamia, in 3000 B.C. Fringe clothing has been worn widely in many civilizations, and by all classes of people till now today. But the fridge denim jacket became popular in the 1920s and then 60s, 70s, and 90s, and it becomes popular more and more. Today, this fringe jacket is essential to amp up your personal fashion.
5. Faded Trucker Jacket:
The faded Trucker Jacket is a pure expression of the rugged Polo style. It combines hard-wearing faded denim. A faded jacket is a kind of jacket produced from denim with a few patches in the lower shades of blue than a classic blue denim jacket. It is a trucker jacket with a faded effect everywhere to give it a more stylish look.
It is usually familiar with the name of a jean jacket or trucker jacket. The faded Trucker Jacket gets popular in the USA in the late 19th century. After then it becomes one of the most popular types of casual clothing with both men and women. Today, Faded Trucker Jacket has been known as an iconic element of Western fashion.
6. Stretch Denim Jacket
The Stretch denim fabrication is most popular in the design of jeggings or skinny jeans. It uses cotton denim fabric and is mixed with other materials such as polyester and spandex. It provides a stretchy fit that bounces back. Stretch Denim Jacket style molds to body shape and stretches well. If anyone wants your jacket to hug your arms, think skinny jeans then a stretch denim jacket is the best option.
7. Colored Denim Jacket:
The denim fabric has traditionally been dyed with blue-indigo pigments. But denim has a wide range of light to dark colors based on variations of cotton and other raw materials. There are more than 24 types of popular colored denim fabric in the fashion industry. Depending on the dyeing process different colored denim jackets can manufacture anywhere from dark blue to light greenish blue. It is quite a versatile piece of clothing to make a position in anyone’s wardrobe.
8. Vintage Denim Jacket
As the name suggests vintage jackets has a tinge of vintage touch. Which indicates any denim garment or item that's between 15-30 years old. Vintage wash jeans provide an aged, semi-worn appearance on the denim jacket. It fades better and looks quite old-timey. The fashion vintage denim was popular in the late 70s 980s. Which marked the beginning of the designer jeans era in denim's history.
9. Balloon Crop Jacket
A balloon Crop Jacket is a loose fit and balloon-like garment. It is quite firm and sturdy. The cut of the ballon crop denim jacket is quite complex. It has a boxy-cropped appearance with high-volume sleeves and a sculptural balloon shape. The final garments are paired with other denim fabrics. Usually, it is produced from 100% cotton denim fabric. The balloon Crop Jacket is a specialized denim jacket for teens. Specially made for ladies. It is quite cute, stylish, and unique.
10. Patchwork Denim Jacket:
The Patchwork Denim Jacket is a unique double-layer jacket with warm Sherpa and Suede fabric. It is a kind of denim jacket with patches in different shades and colors everywhere on the jacket. The fashion designer chooses the patchwork with versatile colors and patterns as well. It is a slightly cropped fit. Patchwork denim jackets get popular in the '70s among denim lovers.
11. Pleated Denim Jacket:
Pleated denim jackets have folds or pleats along the waist, towards the front from the back, button lines, sleeves, etc. It is one of the most stylish pleating techniques to produce a jacket that looks more stylish. The pleats could be anywhere on a pleated jacket. The pleated denim jacket trend has been practiced by celebrities and denim lovers for a long time.
12. Oversize Denim Jacket:
As the name suggests, oversized garments mean larger garments than regular standard body measurements. It indicates everything from pockets to sleeves, and the garment by itself is oversized. An oversized denim jacket is essential to fashion material for denim lovers. This kind of jacket is not made only for chubby people. The versatile lightweight layer of oversized denim jacket can be worn with almost everything.
Key Features of Denim Jackets
Denim Jackets have the most application in the apparel process- Jeans, skirts, and shirts. Other than that, it applies to belts and shoes. We are describing the key features of the denim jacket in the following:
- Medium Heat Retention Ability: The ability of this jacket to store heat over time is medium.
- High Breathability: This jacket is strong and the natural material- cotton makes them extremely breathable.
- High Moisture-wicking abilities: Because of its high moisture-wicking abilities, it requires only low maintenance.
- Medium Stretchability: Although a cotton-made jacket has a natural stretch, cotton/lycra or poly/lycra denim jackets have super stretch.
- Versatile Appearance: The classy, vintage, faded, destroyed, and distressed looks make the jacket out of the other apparel vibrant.
It can be an exceptional choice if you make up your mind about when to use them. There are a few advantages of the denim jacket which make it wearable on every occasion. They are:
- Comfort: Offers balanced insulation. This insulation makes denim wearable all months of the year. This is a kind of all-weather apparel.
- Durability: Cotton material in 100% nature makes a perfect texture. It becomes durable whenever you put it on. Cotton material makes denim jackets more classic than all other types.
- Easy Washing with Cold, warm, and hot water: Denim is easy-to-wash apparel after every 5 times of wear. To avoid fading and tumble drying, we should wash it inside out.
- Long Lasting: Denim is the strongest apparel with physical properties. Because of the strength of the material, it becomes long-lasting.
- Multiple Clothing Options:
- We can wear denim jackets in different clothing styles on different monsoons based on the occasion.
- Easy to Care for: Since denim fabric does not wrinkle much, it is comparatively easy to care for.
- Economically Sustainable: Denim is recyclable and the textile is better for the environment.
The denim Jackets being the all-weather ally coat can be both stylish and convenient to handle. Before investing in a denim jacket, we must know the disadvantages of the jacket. We have compiled here a list of disadvantages to let you know beforehand. These are the following:
- Quality Varies: The quality of the jacket matters from one brand to another. Before purchasing a jacket, make sure there are no signs of flawed designs.
- Tends to Fade over time: These denim jackets are versatile, it is true. But after a few years, it gets dirty quickly and tends to fade. They become challenging to clean.
- Always may not be fit: They can be fit because of their body shapes. Make sure you give them a trial first before you go for buying. They may not fit right if the body shapes change for any cause.
- Expensive Price: Price differs from one type of denim to another type. Mostly selvage and premium, these two costs are higher. Based on countries and the production and availability, they can range from low to high.
It does not matter why you want to buy a denim jacket; it needs to fit well with your outfit. If you do not want to wear much, make sure you wash or take care of them. We have talked about several advantages that may give you a brief idea of what you are looking for. Yet, the disadvantages are also as important to keep in mind. But there is no doubt that a Denim Jacket can be one of your companions for tours or any occasion.